USS Livermore & Monssen 1942 (Twin Pack)
Unassembled plastic model kit with photo-etch parts.
Customize your model: (34)
Don't forget building supplies!
Select a thumbnail to see the picture full-size. DISCONTINUED This product has been discontinued
and is no longer available.List price: $32.25You pay: $21.99(All prices in U.S. Dollars)Manufacturer: Dragon ModelsStock Number: DML 7088Scale: 1/700View all products of type "Gleaves Class"
This model kit requires assembly. Cement, paint and other construction materials not included unless specifically stated in the description.
- Two types of deckhouse newly tooled for Livermore and Monssen
- Extra-fine detail on superstructure walls like hose, ladder patterns delicately reproduced
- Extra gun-tub on Monssen w/20mm gun mounted
- Bridge supports and sky-lookout shield finely represented w/photo-etched parts
- Forward superstructure deck retooled for close mounted 20 mm gun tubs
- Round faced superstructure deckhouse is newly tooled
- Second torpedo mounts and crane w/great details
- Waterline or full hull version can be assembled
- Bilge keels are represented on lower hull by slide mold technology
- Funnels provided w/option of molded on ladders or add on photo-etched ladders
- Lower mount 5-inch guns realistically produced w/extra knuckle
- Turret w/realistic detail - realistically detailed gun barrels are slide molded w/hollow ends
- Optional barrels w/blast bags provided for fun turrets
- Open topped upper-mount 5-inch gun w/textured canvas cover
- Rudder is movable
- TRUE-to-scale ultra thin propellers reproduced
- Smoke generator w/fine detail
- Extremely fine detailed parts like davits for 26' whale boats
- 5-inch practice loading machine in great detail
- Quintuple torpedo launcher in fine detail
- 36-inch searchlight w/fine detail
- Special device included to bend specific photo-etched parts to correct angle
Dragon's Sea Power series has launched a new 1+1 set of ship kits. The two-in-one combo features 1/700 scale replicas of the USS Livermore and USS Monssen. The USS Livermore (DD-429) was a 1,630-ton Gleaves-class destroyer commissioned into U.S. Navy service in October 1940. The release of this set coincides with the 67th anniversary of the famous Naval Battle of Guadalcanal (November 12-15, 1942) in the Solomon Islands, where outnumbered forces of the U.S. Navy, including the USS Monssen, took on a Japanese task force. In the confrontation, the Monssen was hit by 37 shells and turned into a blazing wreck that eventually sank with the loss of 60% of the crew. Despite heavy losses for both sides, the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal turned into a strategic victory for the Allies.
Dragon's 1/700 scale set includes two complete ships-one each of the aforementioned destroyers. The kits feature a brand new deckhouse and items like additional torpedo launchers to correctly depict these two destroyers as they appeared in 1942. To enable all the fine detail to be incorporated, Dragon has included a plethora of photo-etched parts such as ladders, bridge supports and sky-lookout shields. A jig to help fold some of the etched-metal parts is also offered. Nice touches like a movable rudder, slide-molded gun barrels with hollow muzzles, and canvas-textured gun-turret top add a touch of class to these Gleave-class destroyers. These model ships are particularly well crafted, and the inclusion of two ships in one box makes them even more attractive. Modelers can thus build a destroyer for both the Atlantic and Pacific theaters of operation.