Apollo Soyuz Test Project (Apollo 18 and Soyuz 19)
Unassembled plastic model kit
Other products to consider
Customize your model:
Don't forget building supplies!
Select a thumbnail to see the picture full-size.
This model kit requires assembly. Cement, paint and other construction materials not included unless specifically stated in the description.
- Display stand included
- Soyuz 19 comprising Orbiatal Module, Descent Vehicle and Instrument-Assembly Module
- Instrument-Assembly Module produced w/details
- Soyuz solar panel arrays can be assembled on sides of Instrument-Assembly Module
- Compatible docking system represents the real one
- Hydrogen peroxide thrusters included
- Pre-painted docking module resembles alumium foil
- Docking Probe Assembly rendered w/intricate detail
- Realistic service propulsion system reproduced
- Aft heat shield molded w/fine detail
The Cold War was marked by intense rivalry between the USA and USSR. However, there was one noticeable abnormality in the usually tense relations between the two superpowers, and that was a joint space mission conducted in July 1975. Known as the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project (ASTP), it was the very first joint space flight between the competitors. The mission entailed an Apollo spacecraft docking with a Soyuz craft, thus allowing the crew commanders to shake hands in space on 17 July 1975. The docking required a specially designed docking module known as APAS-75. Interestingly, the ASTP was the final Apollo mission, and although it didn't have an official number, it's often referred to as Apollo 18.
This historic moment in space is the subject of a new 1/72 scale model kit from Dragon. The model is highly detailed, and it allows the two spacecraft to be depicted docked together as they orbit the Earth. The appearance of both Apollo 18 and Soyuz 19 are accurately depicted in miniature, and the APAS-75 docking module is pre-painted to make it look exactly like aluminum foil. The specific pattern present on the Soyuz solar panels is particularly well done. Commemorate the historic detente in space with this 1/72 scale kit of the Apollo-Soyuz double act!