YB-49 Flying Wing
Unassembled plastic model kit
Other products to consider
Don't forget building supplies!
Select a thumbnail to see the picture full-size.
This model kit requires assembly. Cement, paint and other construction materials not included unless specifically stated in the description.
- Newly tooled full span wing
- Engine exhaust nozzles have intricate details
- Authentic radical YB-49 flying wing
- Y-shaped antenna subtly reproduced
- Delicate cockpit interior details including pilot's seat
- Landing gear can be assembled in either flying or taxiing modes
- Realistic rudders molded w/detailed pattern
- Landing gear rendered with intricate detail
- Detailed wheels w/pattern especially for YB-49
- Custom printed Cartograf decals
Cyber-Hobby continues its tradition of offering unique models for the niche model kit market. The latest item is a 1/200 scale model of the Northrop YB-49 Flying Wing. This particular craft developed soon after WWII was a radical prototype jet-powered heavy bomber. Two such YB-49 prototypes were produced by the aerospace giant. The maiden flight of the first occurred on October 21 1947, while the second was lost in a crash in 1948 that tragically claimed the lives of five crewmen. In the event, the YB-49 never entered production, with the US Air Force instead opting for the conventional piston engine-powered Convair B-36 Peacemaker. Yet, the developmental legacy of the YB-49 was to eventually live on in the modern B-2 Spirit strategic bomber. Flight data collected from the YB-49 contributed to Northrop's B-2, and both aircraft shared exactly the same wingspan of 52.4m.
Cyber-Hobby's model accurately captures the essence of the futuristic Flying Wing. As to be expected, the plastic model kit makes use of brand new toolings for absolutely every component of the YB-49. Its special form is recreated in precise 1/200 scale, and the panel lines are sharply engraved. The in situ detail is well represented, allowing modelers to own a model bomber aircraft that was decades ahead of its time!