IJN Type 2 Ka-Mi Amphibious Tank Combat Version
Unassembled plastic model kit
Don't forget building supplies!
Select a thumbnail to see the picture full-size.
This model kit requires assembly. Cement, paint and other construction materials not included unless specifically stated in the description.
- Exquisite Type 2 newly produced
- One-piece upper hull made from 3-directional slide mold
- Ventilation grill produced in maximum details
- 3-directional slide-molded one-piece lower hull
- Hatch on turret can be assembled open/closed
- True-to-scale ultra-thin propellers
- Injection molded float attachments w/crisp details
- Intricate idler wheels and return rollers accurately produced
- Sprocket wheels w/breathtaking detail
- Suspension system offers easy assembly
- One-piece DS track reproduced
Dragon earlier produced a simply stunning 1/35 scale Smart Kit of the Japanese Type 2 "Ka-Mi" amphibious tank, and now it has been used as a platform to create a 1/72 plastic kit. The Type 2 was the first amphibious tank used by the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN). It was designed for Japanese landing forces performing amphibious invasions of Pacific islands that didn't have regular port facilities. Production commenced in 1942 and a total of 184 Type 2 amphibious tanks were made, although the design was too late to participate in Japan's island-hopping campaign. When used in water, large pontoons were attached to the glacis plate and rear deck to give it a top speed of 10km/h. These pontoons could be shed as soon as it reached land. The turret featured a 3.7cm Type 1 gun and coaxial Type 97 machine gun.
Dragon's 1/72 scale kit uses 100% new toolings. Fully utilizing Dragon's technological expertise, the result is another masterpiece of accurate kit engineering. The upper hull and lower hull components are both made as single pieces thanks to the employment of slide molds. The kit is closely based on measurements taken from a surviving tank on Peleliu (present-day Palau). This ensures that the kit of the Type 2 tank without its flotation pontoons is accurately dimensioned. The Ka-Mi also includes DS tracks for easy assembly of the complicated track links. This is a swimmingly good kit, a fitting counterpart to its larger 1/35 brother!