Sd.Kfz.138/1 Geschutzwagen s.IG.33
Unassembled plastic model kit with photo-etch parts.
Other products to consider: (9)
Customize your model: (18)
Don't forget building supplies!
Select a thumbnail to see the picture full-size.
This model kit requires assembly. Cement, paint and other construction materials not included unless specifically stated in the description.
Fighting Compartment Interior:
- Ultra-slim injection-molded armor plates
- Nut and bolt detail on armor plates realistically rendered
- Armor plates can be positioned open/closed
- New weather tarp supports finely reproduced
- Newly tooled fighting compartment w/full interior detail
- New ammo box is finely detailed
- New rain-guard for radio set
- Newly tooled control box has refined detail
- Great detail on Fu5-Gerote 10W.S.h transmitter and UkwEh receiver
- Ammunition rounds, gasmask case, cartridge storage, rifle rack and tool storage w/carefully defined detail
- Bulletproof vision port included as option
- Photo-etched storage for bulletproof vision port
- 98k rifle rack accurately represented by photo-etched parts
- Option of showing rack w/or w/out ammunition rounds
- Crisp detail for cartridge storage
Engine Deck, Lower Hull:
- Aluminum gun barrel w/rifling is finely reproduced
- Newly tooled gun trestle for s.IG.33
- s.IG.33 gun carriage accurately represents the real one
- Two options for shims on gun mount
- Recoil system rendered w/ realistic bolt detail
- Travel lock can be positioned in travel or combat mode
- Locking handle has crisp detail
- Two armor plate options for front of fighting compartment
- Optional armor plates allow gun to be elevated at different elevations
Wheel & Track:
- One-piece slide-molded chassis w/great detail
- Hull interior details such as driver's controls, transmission and seats included
- Lower-hull frontal armor w/spare-track bracket
- Glacis plate w/nut detail sharply reproduced
- Photo-etched spare-track bracket on armor plate and fender
- Engine deck w/bolt detail
- Photo-etched engine exhaust grill
- Rear panel has crisp details
- Tow hook can be assembled open/closed
- Finely detailed transmission
- Sprocket and idler wheels accurately tooled
- Magic Tracks w/casting-number detail etched on every link
In WWII, self-propelled howitzers were widely employed to devastating effect by Germany, though early designs were merely conversions that merged howitzers with existing tank chassis. One of the more successful solutions was the Sd.Kfz.138/1 Geschutzwagen 38 H fur s.IG. 33/1, also known as the Grille Ausf.H (Grille means "cricket" in German). The BMM factory in Prague was developing a mid-engine Pz.Kpfw.38(t) chassis for use as a dedicated self-propelled gun (eventually named the Grille Ausf.M), but this program met with delays. In the interim it was decided to mount the 15cm s.IG.33 gun on 90 or so existing rear-engine Panzer 38(t) chassis in order to get the weapon into service as soon as possible. The resulting Grille Ausf.H was produced from February to April 1943, and it was widely used in German panzergrenadier regiments until the end of WWII.
Eons ago, Dragon produced a 1/35 scale Grille Ausf.H kit, and while it was popular at the time, technology and levels of quality have moved much further on! The Grille has now been reincarnated, with not a single part from the older Grille being incorporated the second time around. This new Cricket is sure to bowl modelers over with its impressive level of detail. The kit has received a brand new fighting compartment formed from multiple parts so as to deliver maximum detail. The armor plates are recreated to scale thickness thanks to the application of Dragon's "Razor Edge" technique. The s.IG.33 gun has also benefited from a new cradle mounting. Photo-etched parts and Magic Tracks add their own luster to this scale model too. The interior of the fighting compartment is fully furnished with ammo racks, artillery rounds, rifle rack, radio, and so on. Indeed, this new Grille Ausf.H will have armor fans chirping with delight!