Firefly Mk.Ic Hybrid - Smart Kit
Unassembled plastic model kit
Other products to consider: (50)
Customize your model: (19)
Don't forget building supplies!
Select a thumbnail to see the picture full-size.
This model kit requires assembly. Cement, paint and other construction materials not included unless specifically stated in the description.
- Brand new Firefly Ic in great detail
- Stowage box and gun travel lock tooled on engine deck
- Gun travel lock can be modeled in travel or combat modes
- Turret roof w/bomb-thrower port is newly produced
- New gun shield and rotor shield molded in great detail
- Radio box and stowage box at turret rear are realistically produced
- Anti-aircraft MG w/pedestal mount on turret roof as bonus
- Slide-molded anti-aircraft MG w/hollow end
- Composite hull w/cast texture accurately produced
- Driver's and radio operator's hatches tooled w/clear periscope can be assembled open or closed
- Two types of air filter on the rear hull newly made by slide mold
- Newly tooled tow-bar w/hook realistically presented
- Two types of armored plate welded over MG port as option
- Loader's hatch cover newly reproduced w/interior detail
- Spare-track racks w/spare track links on transmission cover are newly designed
- Hull side plates reproduced w/correct horizontal upper edge
- Realistic weld seams on composite hull accurately presented
- Layout of on-vehicle tools accurately reproduced
- One-piece transmission cover w/cast texture
- Transmission cover w/accurate bolts detail
- Siren molded in detail
- Fuel caps w/interior detail can be assembled open or closed
- Finely rendered horn guards for headlight and horn
- Sprocket molded in detail
- On-vehicle tools delicately reproduced
- DS T48 tracks w/great details
The Firefly was a stroke of genius on the part of British tank designers, combining a more potent high-velocity antitank gun with the tried and tested Sherman design. The gun fitted in the turret was the British Ordnance Quick Firing 17 pounder, able to take on even Germany's most heavily armored vehicles like the Tiger I and Panther. Three different Firefly variants were produced: Ic, Ic Hybrid and Vc. Dragon's newest 1/35 scale Smart Kit portrays a Firefly Ic Hybrid, this nomenclature denoting a vehicle based on a composite hull. Such vehicles combined the front portion of a cast hull with the rear section of a welded hull. Production of the Firefly began in early 1944 and 342 had been delivered for use in the D-Day landings. Overall production was in the order of approximately 2200, and they served in both Northwest Europe and Italy.
This kit is a brand new production that surpasses previous releases of the Firefly Ic Hybrid. It is finely detailed and makes widespread use of slide molds for accuracy and ease of construction. The turret, for example, is completely new with appropriate cast texture and rendered with bomb-thrower on the roof. The kit includes the plated-over MG position, with a couple of armor-plate designs for modelers to choose from. Dragon also includes a .50-cal machine gun and roof mount that allowed the weapon to be used for antiaircraft purposes. There is an ample selection of photo-etched parts to represent areas like the fenders and headlight guards. Dragon also offers the typical large stowage box that could be carried behind the turret bustle or on the hull. Another new element is the gun travel lock, which allows modelers to reverse the turret and clamp the gun in place for a tank in travel configuration. This is an exciting release of the Firefly Ic Hybrid, and it brings this subject up to the very latest standards.