Sd.Kfz 171 Panther A Late
Unassembled plastic model kit
Other products to consider: (28)
Customize your model: (28)
Don't forget building supplies!
Select a thumbnail to see the picture full-size.
This model kit requires assembly. Cement, paint and other construction materials not included unless specifically stated in the description.
The Ausf A was the second series of the Panther production. The basic design remained the same as the Ausf D, the difference being a series of modifications to improve performance. The important changes on the Panther Ausf A were the introduction of the new cupola for the commander, and strengthened running gear. The number of wheel-rim bolts was doubled to prevent failures. Several modifications were made to the drive-train to improve reliability. Engine exhaust cooling was modified. The hull design remained unchanged, but a new ball-mount was designed to replace the letter-box flap MG port. These ball-mounts were fitted to a proportion of Ausf A from August 1943, and were fitted to all Ausf A from late 1943. The turret had many modifications. In addition to the new cupola, an episcope for the loader was provided on the right side of turret roof. The small ammunition-loading hutch in the left side was eliminated, and during production run, the turret side pistol parts were eliminated in favour of the roof-mounted 'Nahverteidigungswaffe' (close-defence weapon). The TZF12 binocular telescope was gradually replaced by the monocular TZF12a during the Ausf A production.
When the Panther Ausf A was first introduced, it saw service in Russia and Italy. Most of the Panther detachments deployed to meet the Allied invasion of France in mid 1944 were equipped with Panther Ausf A, and many of them still in service at the end of the war.
This kit comes with separate track links.
Marking for: 12th Pz.Rgt, La Villeneuve, Normandy, June 1944; 130th Panzer Lehr Rgt, Normandy, June 1944.