British Armored Saladin Mk.II FV601(c)
Unassembled plastic model kit with photo-etch parts.
Customize your model:
Don't forget building supplies!
Select a thumbnail to see the picture full-size. In Stock (Ships in 1-3 business days)List price: $82.00You pay: $54.59(All prices in U.S. Dollars)Manufacturer: Dragon ModelsStock Number: DML 3554Scale: 1/35View all products of type "Saladin"
This model kit requires assembly. Cement, paint and other construction materials not included unless specifically stated in the description.
The Black Label collection from Dragon already offers a tantalizing range of novel model kits. The latest item is another subject designed to titillate - a 1/35 scale replica of the Alvis Saladin Mk.II FV601(C) armored car. Bearing similarities with the Saracen armored personnel carrier, this 6x6 armored vehicle was widely used by the British Army from 1958 onwards, as well as by many other militaries. Production ended in 1972, by which time 1,177 examples had been manufactured. The 11.6-tonne Saladin featured a turret mounting a 76mm L5A1 gun and a coaxial M1919A4 machine gun, and it was operated by a crew of three. A Rolls-Royce B80 Mk.6A engine powered the vehicle to a top speed of 72km/h. Saladins were widely used in Oman during the Dhofar conflict rom 1972-76, as well as in Cyprus (1970s), the defense of Kuwait (1990) and the Sri Lankan Civil War. In British service the Saladin was eventually replaced by the Scorpion CVR(T).
As to be expected for such an innovative subject, the 1/35 scale Black Label kits employs brand~NEW TOOLING~. The distinctive form of the Saladin's armored hull is accurately replicated. Full treatment is also given to the chassis and to the many components that are all but invisible when the vehicle is upright. Thus, the upper and lower links of the suspension, plus the longitudinal torsion bar system, are all beautifully recreated in miniature. For fans of British Army armored vehicles, this Saladin Mk.II is an exciting release. Furthermore, the vehicle was used so widely by numerous other countries that many other mouthwatering modeling opportunities present themselves.
- Upper portion of all-welded steel hull produced as a single piece thanks to slide molds
- Lower hull tub produced as a single piece for utmost accuracy
- Extremely well-detailed suspension assemblies with upper and lower links
- Longitudinal torsion bars present
- Axle hubs and 6x6 drivetrain fully rendered with maximum detail
- Complex suspension and steering systems provided in extreme detail
- Accurately shaped stowage bin
- Side stowage bins between wheels beautifully recreated
- Various fender-mounted stowage boxes produced as separate pieces
- One-piece slide-molded 76mm L5A1 gun barrel
- Rear-mounted number plate panel included
- Well-detailed engine deck plus photo-etched metal air-outlet grille
- Jerry cans made from two parts for greater detail
- Slide-molded turret produced as one piece
- Full detail such as bolt heads, tools and headlamps incorporated
- Frontal hull accurately depicted with details such as headlights, wing mirrors and on-vehicle tools
- Driver's three periscopes well portrayed
- Driver's hatch can be optionally depicted open/closed
- Two-part multimedia wheels combine to create masterful level of detail and easy assembly
- Tires produced from DS for maximum realism
- 66mm smoke grenade discharger clusters fully represented on turret
- Spotlight on turret side includes clear-plastic lens
- Headlights provided with clear-plastic lenses
- Numerous tie-downs and grab handles on turret are true to scale
- Cable reel mounted on rear of turret
- Accurately detailed turret mounting 76mm gun
- Turret hatches can be assembled open and closed
- Gun barrel can elevate/depress just like the real one.
- Coaxial M1919A4 machine gun included