The British Army Since 2000
64 page book.
Other products to consider: (4)
In Stock (Ships in 1-3 business days)List price: $18.95You pay: $13.69(All prices in U.S. Dollars)Manufacturer: Osprey BooksStock Number: OSP ELI202View all products of type "Armies"
Author: James Tanner
Illustrator: Peter Dennis
About this book
In the past decade and a half the unique requirements of dual wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have radically altered the appearance and capabilities of the British Army's infantry soldiers. Gone are the tactics uniforms and equipment of the Cold War, replaced by an elite fighting force, skilled in counterinsurgency operations and warfare in both urban and rural environments. Fully illustrated and written by an insider, this engaging book traces the major transformations in British Army doctrine, organisation, structures, units, uniforms and equipment, from the end of the Cold War in the 1990s up to today, revealing how despite being a small force in global terms, the British Army continues to be able to punch above its weight.
- Introduction - the Army in the 1990s: overview - deployments in Germany - Northern Ireland - the Balkans - the Gulf
- The Army today: doctrine since the end of the Cold War - responses to 'Options for Change' and 'Future Army Structure'
- Organisation: Regular and Territorial forces - changes in senior command structure - remaining overseas garrisons - changes to regiments and corps (combat, supporting and services) - the battle group system
- The Army at War: the Balkans - African deployments - Iraq - Afghanistan
- Uniforms and distinctions: orders of dress - universal service dress - Combat 95 - Multi-Terrain Pattern - regimental and corps distinctions
- Weapons and equipment: major items and systems - personal weapons and equipment
Paperback; September 2014; 64 pages; ISBN: 9781782005933