African American Troops in World War II
64 page book.
Other products to consider: (4)
In Stock (Ships in 1-3 business days)List price: $18.95You pay: $13.69(All prices in U.S. Dollars)Manufacturer: Osprey BooksStock Number: OSP ELI158View all products of type "Armies" Author:
About this book
About half a million African Americans served overseas during World War II, almost all in segregated second-line units. This artificially limited their potential contribution, but their work - especially along the logistic lifelines of the fighting divisions - was vital. This book summarizes the service of these men and women; and it also focuses on the small proportion who, remarkably, overcame prejudicial barriers to reach the battlefields in combat units of the US forces and Coast Guard. Their story is illustrated with wartime photographs, and color plates - including portraits of the most outstanding African Americans, the true heirs of the old "Buffalo Soldiers."
- INTRODUCTION: Racial segregation in the US forces - the Selective Service Act - President Roosevelt and Executive Order 8802
- US ARMY: General Benjamin O.Davis Sr; US Army Air Corps
- Force: Colonel Benjamin O.Davis Jr and the 'Tuskegee Airmen' - 99th Fighter Squadron - 33nd Fighter Group - 477th Bombardment Group; Armored Force and Tank Destroyers: 761st Tank Battalion - 827th Tank Destroyer Battalion; Cavalry; Field, Coast and Antiaircraft Artillery; Infantry: 92nd Infantry Division - 93rd Infantry Division - 555th Parachute Infantry Battalion - volunteer infantry replacements, 1945 - Executive Order 9981; support and service troops; life overseas
- US NAVY: Steward's Mate Doris Miller; USS Mason - PC 1264 - Naval Construction Battalions; The Port Chicago Disaster, July 17, 1944 - its aftermath
- US MARINE CORPS: Letter of Instruction 421; Gunnery sergeant Gilbert H.Johnson; 51st Defense battalion - 53nd Defense Battalion - other units
- OTHER MARITIME SERVICES: US Coast Guard - early integration; US Merchant Marine - SS Booker T Washington
- PLATE COMMENTARIES: Uniforms: US Army - US Navy - US Marine Corp
Paperback; November 2007; 64 pages; ISBN: 9781846030727