M65 Atomic Annie Gun 280mm - Black Label Smart Kit
Unassembled plastic model kit
Don't forget building supplies!
Select a thumbnail to see the picture full-size. In Stock (Ships in 1-3 business days)List price: $91.00You pay: $59.99(All prices in U.S. Dollars)Manufacturer: Dragon ModelsStock Number: DML 7484Scale: 1/72View all products of type "M65 Atomic"
This model kit requires assembly. Cement, paint and other construction materials not included unless specifically stated in the description.
Dragon has certainly been making an impact with its Black Label series of innovative kit subjects. The latest one will be a surprise to many - a 1/72 scale kit of the M65 Atomic Cannon, commonly referred to as "Atomic Annie". This US-manufactured 280mm-caliber artillery piece was developed in the 1950s for the express purpose of delivering a 15-kiloton nuclear device. The M65's design used the German K5 railroad gun as a starting point; it was first fielded in 1953 and it appeared in both Europe and the Korean Peninsula. The cannon required two specially designed tractor trucks for mobility, and the 83.3-ton combination could surprisingly achieve speeds of about 55km/h. The M65 cannon could be prepared for firing in 15 minutes, and the weapon's range was about 32km. At least 20 systems were produced, although the development of rocket- and missile-based nuclear artillery quickly made the M65 obsolete. Nevertheless, this 'prestige' American weapon remained in service until 1963.
Dragon's 1/72 scale kit of the M65 is brand new, which is understandable given that it's the first modern-day kit of this weapon system. The set includes the cannon as well as the two tractor units, with modelers given the flexibility of depicting it in either transport or firing mode. The gun barrel can be displayed at different firing angles depending on the model-maker's choice, and the weapon's mechanisms are fully detailed. This particular small scale is very suitable for Atomic Annie because, even in 1/72 size, it's still a whole 350mm long! Details are accurately replicated on the cannon and the associated truck units. Many will be astonished that Black Label has produced such a stunning subject, but that's what the series is all about! Black Label is here pleasantly surprising model fans of the Cold War era.
- Intricately detailed 280mm T131 gun on T72 carriage can be depicted in travel configuration
- Gun can be optionally shown emplaced and with gun barrel elevated
- Air reservoirs rendered correctly under the chassis
- Detailed cab interiors include steering wheel, instrument panel and seats
- Massive one-piece 280mm gun barrel made by slide mold
- Complex hydraulic shell rammer beautifully depicted
- Circular firing base ground plate nicely detailed
- Breech, recoil unit, equilibrators and elevating mechanism all shown in amazing detail
- Cab and engine compartments for M249 front truck and M250 rear truck produced as single pieces
- Air intake grill of engine compartment well represented in this scale
- T72 gun carriage and lifting forks possess full detail
- Transmission, transfer case and driveshafts of tractor unit fully detailed