USS Benson DD-421 1940 Smartkit
Unassembled plastic model kit with photo-etch parts.
Other products to consider
Customize your model: (31)
Don't forget building supplies!
Select a thumbnail to see the picture full-size. Backordered (Sign up for an email
notification when it's
back in stock!)List price: $52.00You pay: $33.46(All prices in U.S. Dollars)Manufacturer: Dragon ModelsStock Number: DML 1034Scale: 1/350View all products of type "Benson Class"
This model kit requires assembly. Cement, paint and other construction materials not included unless specifically stated in the description.
- Newly tooled one-piece upper hull w/undercut detail thanks to slide-mold technology
- Sky-lookout shield reproduced w/photo-etched parts
- Quintuple torpedo launcher w/fine detail
- Second torpedo launcher w/accurate deflector blast shield
- Additional open port holes are molded w/details
- Deck has realistically produced camber
- Waterline or full-hull version can be assembled
- Additional whalers are produced for Benson DD-42
- Sponsors are represented on lower hull by slide-mold technology
- Flat-sided funnels for Benson-class destroyer like U.S.S. Laffey
- Funnels provided w/option of molded-on ladders or add-on photo-etched ladders
- Separate piping on rear of tunnel
- Realistic photo-etched funnel cap grills and funnel platform
- Extremely fine detailed parts like davits for whalers
- Depth charges molded w/extra fine details
- Bridge supports finely represented w/photo-etched parts
- Side doors (w/optional photo-etched parts) can be assembled open/closed
- Extra-fine detail on superstructure walls like hose and ladder patterns delicately reproduced
- Authentic aft superstructure w/details like ladders and surface detail included
- True-to-scale .50-cal AA gun
- Gun turrets w/realistic detail
- Gun barrels are slide-molded w/hollow ends
- Special device included to bend specific photo-etched parts to correct angles
- Rudder is movable
- True-to-scale ultra-thin propellers reproduced
- Delicate aft deckhouse w/authentic detail
- Upper open mount and lower mount 5-inch guns realistically reproduced
- Realistic mast and crow's nest reproduced
- Accurate stern jacktaff w/running lights
- Smoke generators w/fine details
- Photo-etched propeller guards finely reproduced
- Optional barrels provided for gun turrets
In its Modern Sea Power series, Dragon previously released a 1/350 scale plastic kit of USS Benson (DD-421). Commissioned on 25 July 1940, this US Navy destroyer was the lead ship of a class widely used in WWII. The name of the destroyer stems from that of Admiral William S. Benson (1855-1932). Dragon's earlier kit (Item No.1032) showed the destroyer as it was configured in 1945. At this time USS Benson had completed naval operations in the Mediterranean Sea, and in May of that year the destroyer had then been transferred to the Pacific Ocean theater until the end of WWII.
This latest 1/350 scale kit from Dragon shows the same destroyer, but this time in its original configuration shortly after its commissioning in 1940 at the Boston Navy Yard. Its shakedown period was in the Caribbean. Remembering that the USA was not yet at war in 1940, USS Benson commenced neutrality patrols in the Atlantic in November of that year. Such was the popularity of the original kit of this destroyer, that Dragon has launched this additional kit of the destroyer in its early life. It may be the same ship, but the kit has quite a different setup. An abundant assortment of brand new parts includes a replacement hull made by slide molds. A completely new hull was called for due to important differences from that of Item No.1032. The aft superstructure and deck are also new, as is the main mast with its crow's nest. Other differences between the two kits are the rangefinder, .50-cal AA guns, and the blast shield for the aft torpedo launcher. A generous selection of photo-etched parts is available for items such as the sky-lookout shield and various ladders. This is yet another fine kit in Dragon's ship range, and as a Smart Kit, it offers a pleasurable built to modelers of all skill levels.