Lockheed TR-1A (U-2)
Unassembled plastic model kit
Don't forget building supplies!
Select a thumbnail to see the picture full-size. DISCONTINUED This product has been discontinued
and is no longer available.List price: $20.50You pay: $13.99(All prices in U.S. Dollars)Manufacturer: Dragon ModelsStock Number: DML 4640Scale: 1/144View all products of type "U-2"
This model kit requires assembly. Cement, paint and other construction materials not included unless specifically stated in the description.
- Newly desgined TR-1A high-altitude tactical reconnaissance aircraft
- Standard "Super" pod rendered w/details
- Side-looking radar can be optionally assembled
- Slide-molded cockpit canopy
- Detailed antenna included
- Detailed panel lines on both surfaces of high-aspect-ratio wings
- Intricate air-conditioning cooling air outlets molded on fuselage
- Landing gear can be assembled in either taxiing or flying positions
- Cockpit interior details including pilot's seat and instrument panel
- Realistic rudders reproduced
Despite its advancing age, the U-2 "Dragon Lady" continues to fly high-altitude all-weather reconnaissance missions for the US Air Force (USAF) today. In fact, the Pentagon recently announced the aircraft will continue in service until 2023 because it holds advantages over new technologies such as the Global Hawk! Built by Lockheed, the U-2 is powered by a single engine, and its high-aspect-ratio wings and light construction resemble those of a glider. The TR-1A was the third production batch of the U-2R aircraft featuring side-looking radar, new avionics and improved electronic countermeasures (ECM) equipment. A total of 33 TR-1As were manufactured.
This specific TR-1A variant is the subject of Dragons' newest 1/144 scale plastic kit. Compared to the previously released U-2R, this newer model has received brand new wings, tail and horizontal stabilizers. The payload superpods beneath the wings are also new. The familiar slim fuselage and outspread wings are accurately reproduced, and panel lines are finely engraved. Slide molds are widely used. Modelers can elect to show the landing gear in either taxiing or flying position. With a wingspan of more than 210mm in this scale, this is a truly impressive model. This high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft is rarely seen, but modelers can now get their very own plastic TR-1A Dragon Lady!