LRDG Patrol Car w/2cm Cannon
Unassembled plastic model kit
Other products to consider
Don't forget building supplies!
Select a thumbnail to see the picture full-size.
This model kit requires assembly. Cement, paint and other construction materials not included unless specifically stated in the description.
- Newly tooled LRDG patrol car w/2cm cannon
- Sand channel molded on side of vehicle
- Gunner's seat accurately reproduced
- Hand wheels and gun cradle offer great detail definition
- Accurately shaped front fenders w/details
- Well-defined wheels w/authentic tire tread pattern
- Wheels are produced in separate parts
- Slide-molded chassis
- Delicate spade reproduced
- Lee-Enfield rifles mounted beside driver's cab
- Rolled tarpaulins w/detachable brackets fitted on front fenders
- 2cm cannon mounted in rear compartment
- Intricate engine grille
- Detailed dashboard & driver's compartment
- POW cans included
The Long Range Desert Group (LRDG) was a highly effective unit that roved far behind enemy lines in North Africa during WWII. It gathered intelligence, performed reconnaissance and conducted attacks from mid-1940 through to April 1943. Yet the elite unit never exceeded 350 men at any one time. To successfully negotiate the desert, the LRDG used vehicles such as the two-wheel-drive truck. The truck entered service in March 1942 and these sturdy vehicles carried sand channels, jerry cans, a sun compass, sometimes a wireless, improved radiator cooling system and low-pressure desert tires. They were fitted with weapons such as Lewis guns, Vickers medium machine guns and the Vickers K. Some were even fitted with 2cm guns that had been captured from Italian forces. It was a 20mm antiaircraft gun widely used by Italy in WWII. Of course, the 330kg weapon could also be used against ground targets.
Dragon earlier produced an all-new 1/72 scale plastic model of a standard LRDG patrol truck (Item No.7439). This proved a very popular subject, particularly for those interested in the North African theater of combat. That model utilized brand new toolings, with a single-piece chassis and a slide-molded front body with integral fenders and front grill. Now the kit has been joined by a truck that boasts even more firepower. All new for this kit is an intricate replica of the 2cm gun. The detailed weapon fits onto the rear body, which is a one-piece component for easy assembly and accurate alignment. The extra-large 10.50 x 20 sand tires are crisply detailed too. This is an exciting 1/72 model kit from Dragon, and it will make the perfect companion for the standard LRDG patrol truck as they roam the sands of North Africa!