IJN Type 2 (Ka-Mi) Amphibious Tank Late Prod.
Unassembled plastic model kit with photo-etch parts.
Other products to consider
Don't forget building supplies!
Select a thumbnail to see the picture full-size.
This model kit requires assembly. Cement, paint and other construction materials not included unless specifically stated in the description.
- Newly produced pontoon represented by multiple parts can be assembled in 3 optional types: Leyte Ormoc Type, Kuril Island Type, & US-captured type
- Exquisite Type 2 with floating pontoons
- Rail on front pontoon included
- Slide-molded hydroscope w/transparent-plastic parts molded on turret
- Slide-molded pontoon produced
- Rubber seals on bottom of pontoon have option of either plastic-injection or photo-etched parts
- Delicate engine deck vent included
- One-piece upper hull made by slide mold
- One-piece lower hull made from 3-directional slide mold
- Photo-etched exhaust cover realistically produced
- Multi-piece exhaust pipe and muffler offer easy assembly and maximum details
- Ventilation grill hatch can be assembled open/closed
- Transmission access hatches can be assembled open/closed
- Hatches on upper hull and driver's port can be assembled open/closed
- Intricate Type I 37mm gun and Type 97 light machine gun included
- True-to-scale ultra-thin propellers
- Slide-molded rudder mechanism on rear pontoon
- Accurately detailed idler adjuster mountings
- Detailed track tension adjuster
- Delicate road wheels w/authentic separate parts
- Suspension mount produced
- Different bolt heads molded on left-side and right-side road wheels
- Realistic return rollers included
- Detailed idler wheels
- Sprocket wheels w/breathtaking detail and multiple delicate parts
- DS tracks molded /details on both sides
Dragon's first ever 1/35 scale Smart Kit of the Japanese Type 2 "Ka-Mi" amphibious tank (Item No.6678) proved a blockbuster! Now comes another version with even more goodies, a Type 2 complete with a set of floating pontoons. The "Ka-Mi" was the first amphibious tank used by the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN). It was designed for Japanese landing forces performing amphibious invasions of Pacific islands that didn't have regular port facilities. Production commenced in 1942 and a total of 184 Type 2 tanks were built. When used in water, two large pontoons were attached to the glacis plate and rear deck to give it a top waterborne speed of 10km/h. These pontoons could be shed as soon as it reached land.
This 1/35 scale kit is obviously based on the company's earlier release, but the bonus this time around is the floating pontoons. The front pontoon is composed of two halves (Late Production) that are brand new toolings. Other parts such as the conning tower, rudder and hydroscope suitable for its amphibious role are also fully detailed. There's widespread use of slide molds to enable crisp detail. The one-piece upper-hull and lower-hull components, for example, are both slide molded. It also features highly detailed and easy-to-assemble DS tracks. This creates many possibilities for dioramas and modelers. This Type 2 with pontoons is thus a unique item from the Pacific theater of war, making this kit invaluable for model-makers.