IJN Type 2 (Ka-Mi) Amphibious Tank
Unassembled plastic model kit with photo-etch parts.
Other products to consider
Customize your model:
Don't forget building supplies!
Select a thumbnail to see the picture full-size.
This model kit requires assembly. Cement, paint and other construction materials not included unless specifically stated in the description.
- Exquisite Type 2 newly produced
- True-to-scale ultra-thin propellers newly produced
- Rear antenna included
- DS Track molded w/details on both sides
- One-piece upper hull made from slide mold
- One-piece lower hull made from 3-directional slide-molded
- Optional racks on rear hull can be folded up/down
- Accurately detailed idler adjuster mountings
- Detailed track tension adjuster
- Sprocket wheels w/breathtaking detail and multiple delicate parts
- Idler wheels have details parts
- Realistic return rollers included
- Delicate road wheels w/authentic separate parts
- Different bolt heads molded on left-side and right-side road wheels
- Intricate Type 1 37 mm gun and Type 97 light machine gun included
- Complete gun assembly w/full detail
- Realistic canvas pattern molded on
- One-piece 2-directional slide-molded turret for Type 2
- Driver's and radio operator's hatches can be assembled open/closed
- Hatches on upper hull and turret can be assembled open/closed
- Hatches on ventilation grill can be assembled open/closed
- Photo-etched exhaust cover realistically produced
- Multi-piece exhaust pipes and muffler offer easy assembly and maximum details
- Transmission access hatches can be assembled open/closed
- Injection molded float attachments w/crisp details
- Detailed towing-eye brackets w/separate parts
The latest Smart Kit from Dragon is an esoteric 1/35 scale subject that has never been covered by a mainstream manufacturer before! The subject is a Japanese Type 2 "Ka-Mi" amphibious tank. This vehicle was the first amphibious tank used by the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN), and it was closely based on the Type 95 "Ha-Go" light tank. It was designed for Japanese landing forces performing amphibious invasions of Pacific islands that didn't have regular port facilities. Production commenced in 1942 and a total of 184 Type 2 amphibious tanks were made, although the design was really too late to participate in Japan's island-hopping campaign. When used in water, large pontoons were attached to the glacis plate and rear deck to give it a top speed of 10km/h. These pontoons could be shed as soon as it reached land. The turret featured a 3.7cm Type 1 gun and a coaxial Type 97 machine gun.
Dragon's 1/35 scale kit uses 100% new toolings. In fact the chief designer is the same person who masterminded Dragon's modern range of Panzer III and Panzer IV kits. Combined with Dragon's technological expertise, the result is another masterpiece of kit engineering. The kit is closely based on measurements taken from a surviving tank on Peleliu (present-day Palau), the scene of ferocious fighting in late 1944. That ensures this kit of the Type 2 tank without its flotation pontoons is accurately dimensioned. This kit is produced to the highest Dragon standards, with wide use of slide molds to enable crisp detail. The one-piece upper hull and lower hull components, for example, are both slide molded. The Ka-Mi also includes DS tracks for easier assembly. This is a swimmingly good kit of a very rare and fascinating subject!