M3 75mm Gun Motor Carriage
Unassembled plastic model kit with photo-etch parts.
Other products to consider: (4)
Customize your model: (22)
Don't forget building supplies!
Select a thumbnail to see the picture full-size. Backordered (Sign up for an email
notification when it's
back in stock!)List price: $71.00You pay: $47.49(All prices in U.S. Dollars)Manufacturer: Dragon ModelsStock Number: DML 6467Scale: 1/35View all products of type "M-3 Halftrack"
This model kit requires assembly. Cement, paint and other construction materials not included unless specifically stated in the description.
Gun and Shield:
- Brand new M1897A4 75mm gun with complete breech
- Gun traverse system authentically reproduced
- Shield support connecting gun is also included
- Gun shield for M3 75mm GMC is slide-molded
- Gun trails with hand wheels finely reproduced
Chassis and suspension:
- Rear plate specifically designed for M3
- Rear cab door is newly tooled
- Ammunition rack with ammo installed under main gun
- Fighting compartment arrangement specific to M3
- Two types of rear storage bins for M3 GMC
- Newly tooled fighting compartment side armor with detail
- Fine screw-head and rivet detail present
- Top half of cab doors can be assembled in swung-down position
- Delicate steering wheel and controls
- Detailed dashboard instrument panel
- Interior fuel tank with cap
- Photo-etched visors for armored window covers
- Armored front grill with bolt detail can be modeled in two modes;
- bonus individual photo-etched slats available for open mode
- Front hood mounts reproduced by photo-etched parts
- Detailed rear bucket for GMC M3
- Sharply molded OVM
- Full drive train assembly with engine transmission,
- differential housing and suspension units
- Rubber track modeled with center guide band
- Finely detailed one-piece chassis
- Dual drive train with disc-brake assembly
- Fully detailed steering mechanism
- Suspension springs finely rendered
- Sprockets and idler wheels are multi-directional slide-molded
- One piece exhaust and muffler
- Bogie assembly with internal spring detail
- Complete engine with radiator and oil sump
- Differential housing has bolt and rib detail
- Tires intentionally shaped to mimic bulging caused by heavy load
The U.S. Army made widespread use of the M2/M3 halftrack throughout WWII in all theaters of combat. This popular and versatile chassis spawned a variety of uses, one of them being a Gun Motor Carriage (GMC), a halftrack that mounted a 75mm antitank gun. As the USA witnessed the devastating power of German Blitzkrieg tactics in 1940, an urgent call went out to produce tank destroyers. The GMC M3, mounting an M1897A4 75mm gun, was one urgent solution standardized in October 1941. More than 2,200 such vehicles were produced, though only 842 saw service since the remainder were converted back to standard troop carriers. The GMC M3 saw combat with the U.S. Army in the Philippines (where some captured examples were actually used against American forces in 1944!), Tunisia and North Africa (e.g. the Battle of Kasserine Pass) and Sicily. After that, they were phased out in favor of the far more effective M10 tank destroyer, though many soldiered on with the USMC in the Pacific theater well into 1945. Other nations used them too, including Great Britain and France.
As part of its stunning M2/M3 halftrack series, Dragon is pleased to announce the GMC M3. Notably, this is the first 1/35 scale vehicle of its type to be produced in up-to-date specifications. The open-topped fighting vehicle is fully detailed, with a great number of completely new toolings in keeping with its tank destroyer thoroughbred. This means the fighting compartment has a brand new layout. The M1897A4 75mm gun is also a completely new item designed from scratch to the highest tolerances. Its gun shield is injection molded to a scale thickness matching that of the original. This 1/35 scale plastic kit from Dragon is a worthy contender to continue the M2/M3 family line, and it is ready to do battle in the Pacific, North Africa or Mediterranean.