Imperial Chinese Armies 1840-1911
In Stock (Ships in 1-3 business days)List price: $18.00You pay: $12.99(All prices in U.S. Dollars)Manufacturer: Osprey BooksStock Number: OSP MAA505View all products of type "Armies" ABOUT THIS PRODUCT
An in-depth analysis of the Chinese Armies that fought a series of increasingly fractious wars over nearly a century. Beginning with a run through of the Chinese forces that combated the British and French during the two Opium Wars, this history goes on to trace the forces who were drawn into internal wars and rebellions in the 1850s and 60s, the open warfare in North Vietnam, the string of defeats suffered during the First Sino-Japanese war and the Boxer Rebellion. Providing an unparalleled insight into the dizzying array of troop types and unique uniforms, this is a history of the sometimes-painful modernization of China's military forces during one of her most turbulent periods of history.
Philip Jowett was born in Leeds in 1961, and has been interested in military history for as long as he can remember. His first Osprey book was the ground-breaking Men-at-Arms 306: Chinese Civil War Armies 1911-49; he has since published the three-part sequence The Italian Army 1940-45 (Men-at-Arms 340, 349 and 353). A rugby league enthusiast and amateur genealogist, he is married and lives in Lincolnshire.Gerry Embleton has been a leading illustrator and researcher of historical costume since the 1970s, and has illustrated and written Osprey titles on a wide range of subjects for more than 20 years. He is an internationally respected authority on 15th and 18th century costumes in particular. He lives in Switzerland, where since 1988 he has also become well known for designing and creating life-size historical figures for museums.
- The Chinese Imperial Army of the Qing Dynasty from c.1840 - the First Opium War against Britain (1839-42), and Second Opium War
- Arrow War (1856-60) against Britain and France
- Muslim and provincial rebellions and clan wars, 1840-1911
- The Franco-Chinese War in Vietnam and Formosa (1884-86) - the Black Flag army
- The First Sino-Japanese War (1894-95)
- The modernized Imperial Army, 1895-1911 - the Boxer Rebellion and international interventions (1900)
- The armies of the 1911 Revolution
- Plate Commentaries